District 5 Interleague Juniors Softball Rules
1. A conventional battering order will be used for both teams, bat 9/play 9.
2. The new rule 6.02-(c) will be used as follows. After entering the batter’s box, the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot throughout the at bat unless there is a time out awarded or the swing or a play takes them out of the box or the pitcher leaves the circle or the catcher leaves the catchers box. If the batter leaves the box, the umpire will ask the coach to have his player return to the box.
3. The “10 run rule” will be observed, as described in rule 4.10 (e).
4. Minimum play rule of 6 defensive outs and 1 at bat applies.
5. Home team will provide 2 new official Little League softballs to the plate umpire at the coach/umpire conference held prior to the game.
6. The time limit for all games at this level is no new inning after 2 hrs and drop dead 2 hr and 15 mins from the scheduled start time.
7. Host league will pay the two District 5 assigned umpires.
8. Teams must start and finish the game with 8 players. In the event a team has less than 8 players at the scheduled game time or other, the umpires will forfeit the game and immediately leave the field of play. The two teams may continue to play and use the allotted time as a scrimmage or practice, but no umpires may be present on the field of play. Home team will report this forfeit to the District.
9. If the game is started or continued with 8 players rule 4.04 note three will be in affect and an “our” will be recorded when the “9th” batting spot comes up to bat for the team with 8 players.
10. A rostered adult must be present in the dugout at all times when players are present.
11. The home team will provide the Official score keeper
12. There is no “must slide rule.” The rule is, “slide, or attempt to get around.” The key in this situation is, “the fielder has the ball and is waiting to make a tag.” If the fielder (any fielder, not just the catcher) does not have the ball, and there is a collision, you CANNOT call the runner out. However, if the umpire determines that the runner deliberately attempted to injure the fielder, the umpire could eject the runner for unsportsmanlike conduct. 7.08(a(3)).
Little League Rulebook App updated for the 2023 season!
The Rulebook app contains the Official Regulations, Playing Rules, and Operating Policies for all divisions of Baseball, Softball, and Challenger in one location. The app includes all three rulebooks, exclusive rule interpretation videos, automatic updates for future seasons and is approved for use in the dugout! Download the FREE Rulebook app on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
*Important Note for Android Users: The Google Play Store has yet to release the Rulebook app as a free download. Please continue to check back for further updates.